Roads and Sidewalks

Construction & Road Closures

Each year, the Public Works Department undertakes capital projects to improve roads and infrastructure, which may result in road closures.  Special events taking place within the Township may also result in temporary road closures.

Click here to view the current construction & road closures schedule

Winter Operations

The Public Works Department is responsible for winter road maintenance.

Click here to learn more about snow removal & winter road maintenance

Road maintenance

The Public Works Department is responsible for road maintenance. This includes maintenance gravel, street sweeping, pot holes and dust suppression.

Click here to learn more about road maintenance

Half load restrictions

Half Load Restrictions are in effect from March 1st to May 1st for all Township owned roads within the Township of Guelph/Eramosa.

All vehicles are permitted to travel at 5 tonnes per axel or less until the restriction has been lifted.

For further information, please contact the roads department by email at or by phone at 519-856-9596 ext. 120.

Boulevard Maintenance and Alteration Permits

By-law 21/2021 as amended, requires property owners to maintain the standard turf grass municipal boulevard in front of their property. Property owners wishing to make an alteration to the boulevard which is an alternative to sod shall apply for a Boulevard Alteration Permit by submitting an application before any alteration work begins. By-law 21/2021 clearly identifies what is and what is not permitted within the municipal boulevard. Please drop off a signed copy at the Township Office or via email

Landscaping Woodchips

Woodchips for landscaping are available to Township residents free of charge on a first come-first serve basis.  The woodchip pile is located at the north east corner of the paved parking lot at the Municipal Office at 8348 Wellington Road 124 (at Brucedale) and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Remember that you must bring your own shovel and do the work yourself.  NOTE:  The operation of heavy equipment is not permitted on municipal property. 

Entrance Permit

Properties that do not currently have access from the road to enter the property require an entrance permit.

Click here to learn more about entrance permits


Report a malfunctioning light

To report a burned out light, please call 519-856-9596 ext. 120 or

When reporting burned-out streetlights, please provide the nature of the problem, such as the light being burnt out, cycling on and off, always on during the day, etc.  Also, please provide a description of the streetlight location, such as an identifying number on the streetlight or the municipal address closest to the streetlight. 

Civic Number or sign request

By-law 53/2011 requires that the following types of properties must post a civic address identification number or plate:  properties with a residence, commercial, industrial, religious and educational properties where an emergency may be reported.  Civic address identification plates (green signs) must be obtained from the Municipal Office.  Replacement identification plates can purchased at a cost of $35.00 each and, if required, replacement posts are available at a cost of $15.00 each.

Click here for a civic addressing number and/or sign request form

Properties that do not have an assigned civic number may obtain one from the Roads Department. 

Please contact the Roads Department at 519-856-956 ext. 120 or email to request a Civic Number or a new/replacement sign or post.

Debris & litter

To notify the Roads Department about debris including dead animals on any part of the municipal right of way (ie. road, curb, shoulder, ditch), please call 519-856-9596 ext. 120 or email

School Crossings and Pedestrian Crossovers

A Pedestrian Crossover is a place designated for pedestrians to cross a road. All vehicles are required by law to stop for pedestrians at a pedestrian crossover.  There are 3 Pedestrian Crossovers in Rockwood at the following locations:

  • Main St. S at Waterside Park (south of Bridge St.)
  • Alma St. east of Inkerman St.
  • Main St. N & Gzowski St.

A school crossing is any pedestrian crossing where a school crossing guard is present and displaying a school crossing stop sign.  There are currently no school crossing locations in the Township of Guelph/Eramosa; however you will encounter many of them if you’re traveling in our neighbouring communities such as Guelph or Acton.  The Township of Guelph/Eramosa does employ crossing guards to assist children walking to and from school at the following locations:

  • Main St. S at Dunbar St./MacLennan St.
  • Main St. S at Waterside Park (south of Bridge St.)
  • Alma St. east of Inkerman St.

Please remember that parking on or within 9 metres of any crossing is prohibited.

Click here for more information on school crossings and pedestrian crossovers including an outline of the Highway Traffic Act requirements.

For all other inquiries related to roads in the Township, please call 519-856-9596 ext. 120 or email