Zoning By-law

The Zoning By-law is a legal document that regulates land use within the Township, establishing permitted uses and development standards (such as building setbacks, lot coverage, parking, etc.) for specific areas or “zones”.

Click here to access the Township’s Zoning By-law 40/2016 and identify the zoning of your property. 

Zoning By-law Amendments

All development within the Township must comply with the Township’s Zoning By-law. Where a proposed use or development is not permitted, an applicant may seek a Zoning By-law Amendment to request a change of use on the subject property. Please note that Zoning By-law Amendments are a public process that goes before Township Council for decision.

For inquiries regarding zoning changes, please contact the Township’s Planning Technician at

Zoning By-law Amendment

Application and Public Consultation Strategy Form



Current Applications

To see a list of current Zoning By-law Amendment applications, please click here.  

Minor Variance

The provisions of a zoning by-law are precise and development proposals must comply exactly with the provisions of the zoning by-law.  A minor variance is a special privilege used to reduce the inflexibility of the zoning by-law. A minor variance is a form of mini-zoning and requires notification for a public hearing, which is heard by the Committee of Adjustment

For more information about the minor variances process, please contact the Township's Planning Administrator at 519-856-9596 ext. 112 or

Current Applications

To see a list of current Minor Variance applications, please click here.  

Site Plan Control

In accordance with Section 41 of the Planning Act, the Township has implemented By-law 61/2010 (as amended) to designate certain lands within Township as Site Plan Control areas. All proposed development on lands within the designated Site Plan Control areas are subject to site plan review and approval prior to construction. 

For inquiries or information relating to site plan, please contact the Township's Planning Technician at


The Township of Guelph/Eramosa’s Planning Department is currently accepting and processing all planning applications; however, response and processing times may be delayed due to the current pandemic situation.

Pre-consultation meetings for new Planning Applications can be scheduled through videoconference. Please contact to schedule a pre-consultation meeting.

Please contact or the planner assigned to your file regarding the status of existing applications or for general inquiries.

Please note, all building related inquiries should be directed to

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Official Plan

The County of Wellington Official Plan is the principal document used to guide long range planning for the Township of Guelph/Eramosa.  For more information, visit the Wellington County website for more.


The Wellington County Land Division Committee is responsible for land severances (consents) within the Township of Guelph/Eramosa.  For more information, visit the Wellington County website.

Sign Permits

Wellington County is responsible for sign permits on County and Township roads: Wellington County Policies and Permits

If you are planning to erect or alter a sign or advertising device on a property within 400m (¼ mile) of any Provincial Highway Right-of-Way, you may require a permit: Ministry of Transporation Sign Permit Conditions

Building Permits

Development Charges

DAAP Review

In 2017 the Township retained Watson and Associates Economists Ltd. to undertake an update to the Township's development fees model. 

This technical report summarizes the legislative context for the fees review, provides in detail the methodology utilized to assess the full costs of processing development fee applications, and presented the financial implications of full cost recovery and the associated fee schedule.

Parkland Dedication

Parkland dedication is one of the ways that the Township secures additions to its park system. The dedication of parkland is a requirement under the Planning Act and allows the Township to ensure that its park system grows along with the community.

There are two types of parkland dedication – the dedication of physical land or the payment of money in lieu of dedicating lands (often referred to as cash-in-lieu of parkland).

Outdoor lighting policy

The Township of Guelph/Eramosa (Township) values its rural countryside character and its natural environment. Both of these are potentially threatened by poorly considered or even inadvertent over-lighting.  

Planning Resources