There are opportunities for the public to get involved with the Township of Guelph/Eramosa throughout the year. The Township actively encourages participation by its residents in order to make our Township a better place for all to live, work, learn and play.
Make an impact in your community! Whether it is volunteering once a month, once a year or weekly, volunteer on your schedule, not ours.
- Meet new people in your community
- Learn new skills
- Gain life and job experience
- Find a fulfilling way to spend your time
- Give back to the community
- Complete our Volunteer Application Form.
- Interview process.
- Complete a Police Records Check. Depending on program area and age of volunteer, a vulnerable sector screening may be required
- Provide two reference letters.
- Attend mandatory training sessions.
Local businesses, community members, families, friends, seniors, elementary schools, secondary schools (co-op placements and community hours), university students.
Click below to find out how you can help!
- Do you have skills and experience to share?
- Art and Culture
- Book Clubs
- Health and Wellness
- Peer Learning
- Social Groups
- Special Events
- Technology and More!
- Contact 519-856-9596 ext. 139 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- We invite you to join the list of community builders and become a volunteer at your local outdoor ice rink. The success of the outdoor ice rinks is in the hands of our community members! Being an outdoor ice rink volunteer is a great way to meet neighbours and give back to the community. If you are a high school student, volunteering at your local ice rink could count towards your 40 hours of required volunteer time. We require at least 5 volunteers per rink with 1 of those volunteers willing to take on the role of “Team Lead” for the duration of the season.
- Are you interested in becoming a volunteer at one of the outdoor rinks but would like a bit more information? Check out the Outdoor Rink Manual
- If you like what you've read in the Outdoor Rink Manual and would like to apply, here is the application form.
- Please complete the application form and submit directly to Kristen at Parks@get.on.ca or call 519-856-9596 ext. 113.
What is the time commitment?
This depends on the number of volunteers at your local outdoor ice rink. The initial building of the rink is time consuming but once the base is established, it could take no more than one hour a night to maintain the rink. So, if your rink has seven volunteers, that would be one hour per week per volunteer.
Winters are getting milder, so why have outdoor rinks?
The temperature only needs to be below -5 degrees Celsius to make ice and it does not matter if there is snow. Typically, we are seeing 30 to 45 skating dates per season in southwestern Ontario.
Do I require equipment to be a volunteer?
No, the Township provides a water source, hose, shovels, and nets for each location.
The Township recognizes that volunteers are a vital resource to the community and commits to providing opportunities for residents of Guelph/Eramosa to volunteer and to enhance quality of life while providing service to the Township and community.
Volunteers may participate in social, recreational, sporting, cultural, environmental, community support, civic activities and programs. Volunteers are supported through coordination of services and a comprehensive and consistent management approach, the details of which are outlined in the Township's Volunteer Management Policy.