In July of 2021 the Federal Government announced the Canada Community Revitalization Fund (CCRF). Through this fund the Federal Government will be investing $500M over two years to help communities across Canada build and improve community infrastructure projects to offset the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Funding up to 75% was provided for this intake to a maximum of $1 million dollars.
Eligible projects were prioritized as follows:
- Revitalize downtown cores and main streets
- Reinvent outdoor spaces
- Create green infrastructure
- Increase the accessibility of community spaces
The Township submitted an application to the CCRF in July of 2021 and was successful in our application for a one million dollar reconstruction project for the washroom facilities in Rockmosa Park. The new building will be a fully accessible, insulated and climate-controlled facility that will allow for bathroom access in the shoulder seasons and the winter months should the demand be present. In addition to accessible washroom facilities, the new build will offer 3000sq/ft of open-air covered sheltered space for visitors to seek refuge from the sun or inclement weather. The covered pavilion space will be free public access space that will also be utilized for Township offered Community Programming and will be made available to the many summer camps that utilize Rockmosa Park each season. Funding will cover the cost of detailed design, demolition of existing building and new construction.
75% ($750,000) of the project will be funded by the CCRF with the remaining 25% ($250,000) covered by the township.
This grant requires all work to be completed by December 31, 2022. Effective Tuesday, August 2nd, 2022, the following park amenities will be closed for public use:
- Splash Pad
- Public Washrooms
- Baseball diamond lighting
- Pedestrian level lighting
- Parking lot lighting
For more information, please see the following article from the May 19th edition of The Wellington Advertiser https://www.wellingtonadvertiser.com/council-approves-funding-for-replacement-of-public-washroom-at-rockmosa-park/. Alternatively, contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 519-856-9596 ext 113 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to News